This is a story about a far away river in a far away place. A journey that was supposed to begin with my Dad and I, but now it begins with just I. Where once upon a time this adventure that we had so often talked about, was to be our brief interlude in life on a big wild river, playing in nature, paddling along, skipping stones, being spirited and adventuresome – to be kids again – to be Pirates of the Yukon. In May 2016 I commit myself to this 2,000 mile journey on the Yukon River in memory of my Father, who died of prostate cancer on July 14, 2015.
- Prostate cancer can be slow-growing and benign or fast-growing and dangerous.
- 1 in 7 men are affected by prostate cancer in his lifetime.
- 1 man dies from prostate cancer every 19.1 minutes.
- Prostate cancer is the second most common cancer in U.S. men.
- Early detection is key for treating prostate cancer, especially for men who are at hereditary risk or over 40.